Safety Tips For Buying Online at Kite Gear USA
You see an ad for something that you like, but how do you know it’s legitimate? We recommend the following advice for purchasing items; however, the ultimate decision to buy is up to you.
- Do research, know the value of the items that you are purchasing, and you can get an idea if the price is too good to be true.
- Communicate with the seller via a video call. You can use FaceTime, WhatsApp, Facebook, etc. Ask to see the item in the video.
- If the item is nearby, meet the seller in person.
- Use PayPal Goods and Services” or Venmo “Business” to pay the seller . There may be a fee associated, but the protection this offers over PayPal – Friends and Family is HUGE!!
- Meet in person, exchange cash.
- CashApp, Venmo personal or Zelle do not offer any payment protection.
If the seller offers to provide ID, do not use this as proof of legitimacy. Scammers will attempt to forge IDs. Example of forgery:
- The font on the name does not match the rest of the document.
- The name on top does not match the name on the bottom.
Identifying Suspicious Ads:
- There are no pictures of the actual item, only screen shots of the item from the manufacturer’s website.
- The English is very poorly written.
- The price is too good to be true.